16 May 2009

Why is inflation a fact of life?

I always used to wonder why, as I begun studying economics, is inflation a fact of life? Why do prices always seem to go up (on average)? Now I think I know the answer.

Inflation for a commodity could be due to its demand exceeding supply for a sustained period of time. However, I am here talking about overall prices. This I believe is mainly a monetary phenomenon (as pointed out by Friedman). Thus, historically, we have had more money chasing less goods and services. Hence, the overall inflation in most of the economies.

The questions is why would there be more money chasing less goods for a sustainable period of time?

I guess, the reason is deficit financing. Most governments over the world have been doing this. They print money to finance their welfare schemes and budgetary deficits. I guess this is the reason why we see inflation as a fact of life

The better the government's fiscal management, the lower the inflation. This relationship is evident if one looks at countries like US and Zimbabwe on two ends of the spectrum. India perhaps is somewhere in the middle with historical inflation in the range of 5%-7%.

No comments: